Friday, July 27, 2012

Standing on the Word of God


"Your word is a light for my feet, a light on my path." (Psalm 119:105, NIV)
"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful."  (Hebrews 10:23, NIV)

This summer we have been renovating a "fixer-upper" house.  Since we do have 3 little ones, we decided to hire a contractor to do most of the work.  So, no we are not some sort of super human parents.  We have to have help on this one!  lol  We are finally nearing the end of this project just in time before school starts.  But before we could finish the work, we got a really fun idea from an old and dear friend of mine.  She got the idea from a friend of hers.  See this is how we roll, right?  Sharing ideas is one of the purposes for this blog.  Therefore, I am going to share this idea with all of you.  :)

My girlfriend also renovated her new house not too long ago.  Before the new floors went in, she heard about an idea to write scripture on the floor boards in all the rooms in the house.  That way, you are always, "standing" on the word of God.  How fun!  I loved this idea!  It also reminded me of the hymn, "Standing on the Promises," by Russell Kelso Carter.  What a great way to "stand" on God's promises in our home!

Well, the floors in our house are going down this week!  So, last weekend I had my 5 and 7 year olds pick out their favorite scriptures to write on the floor boards in each of their rooms.  We took turns, since it was a lot of writing.  Both boys wanted the Ephesians 6 verse about wearing the armor of God.  Of course, I was elated!  Then, I chose Proverbs 31 for my daughter's room (she is 3).  My desire is for her to grow to be a woman who fears the Lord.  

There were so many ideas on verses for the rest of the house.  I prayed about it and immediately heard Galations 5, the "Fruits of the Spirit" in my mind.  I put this in the great room since I want people to see and experience this when they enter our home.  For fun, I chose Psalm 34:8 for the kitchen, "Oh taste and see that the Lord is good!  Blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him!"  I wrote it right where the dining table would go.  :)

This was so much fun!  I took pictures to add to our photo book we will be making of our house.  We have not even moved in yet and this house is full of God's providence, promises, (and now) His Word, and lots of fun stories.  And yes, I will be sharing more about them in future posts.  :)


This idea also reminded me of another of my favorite verses in Deuteronomy:


Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.  Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.  These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts.  Impress them on your children.  Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.  Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.  Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.  Deuteronomy 6:4-9 NIV

Of course, we chose to write our favorite verses on our floors.  But, how fun to figure out how to put something on the door frames!  If you have any ideas, I would LOVE to hear them!

Caleb, age 7, in his room with Ephesians 6:10-18, "The Armor of God" 
Notice the toy soldier he wanted in the picture  :)

Isaac, age 5, also chose Ephesians 6:10-18, "The Armor of God"
I LOVE how big he wanted to write this!! 

Galatians 5:22 for the Great Room which is where you enter the house 

Psalm 34:8 for the Kitchen

I chose Proverbs 31:30 about a "woman who fears the Lord" since this is my prayer for my daughter, currently age 3

No comments:

Post a Comment