Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Everything You Do...


Do you ever feel guilty about the things you are doing, or should I say, not doing with your kids?  I certainly do!  Especially when you have multiple degrees, perhaps, and you have learned the consequences of certain activities (i.e. too much TV).  In school, you think, “Oh I would never do that with my kids!”  Then, 10 years later, you find yourself doing exactly the opposite of what you vowed you would not do?  LOL!  I hope you can relate and that I’m not the only one!

Well, there’s a new Stephen Curtis Chapman song called, "Do Everthing," that really speaks to me and reminds me of what is important.  It's from his latest cd entitled, Re:Creation.  Here are the lyrics for the first part of the song:

"You’re picking up toys on the living room floor for the 15th time today
Matching up socks, sweeping up lost Cheerios that got away
You put a baby on your hip and color on your lips and head out the door
And while I may not know you I bet I know you
Wonder sometimes does it matter at all
Well let me remind you it all matters just as long

As you do everything you do to the glory of the One who made you
Cause He made you to do
Every little thing that you do to bring a smile to His face
And tell the story of grace
With every move that you make
And every little thing you do"

This song comes from the verse 1 Corinthians 10:31,

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.”

Collosians 3

Sometimes as a Christian mom I feel pressure too.  I think I’m not doing enough Bible study or scripture memorization, etc with my kids.  I try new ideas to help their faith and feel like I fail more often than I succeed.  But, this verse reminds me that no matter what I do, even with my kids, all I need is to be sure to do it for God’s glory!  Can I glorify God in making “silly snacks” with my kids?  Yes!  Can I glorify God by letting my house get messy because my kids like to be creative? Absolutely!  I do believe teaching them the Bible is important.  But, I also believe God would rather me be laughing and playing with my kids rather than spending the day cleaning my house.  After all, being a Christian is about building a relationship with Christ and I believe He wants us to also build a relationship with our children as well.  So here's an idea...go have some fun with your kids and whatever you do, do it for His glory!  J

No comments:

Post a Comment