Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Treasure!

I have 2 boys with very wild imaginations!  I'll share some of the stuff they come up with in future posts.  Today I want to tell you about their treasure boxes.  One of their favorite activities is to dress up like pirates and hunt for treasure.  We also enjoy going on walks outside and looking for "treasures."  So, one day while I was out shopping, I found these treasure boxes.  I think I got them on clearance at Hobby Lobby or Michaels.  The boys were so excited!  They were perfect because they were cheap and blank!  The boys got to decorate their own treasure box!


They use their treasure boxes for different things almost every day.  Sometimes we go on walks and they collect "treasures" which they keep in their boxes for a little while.  Sometimes they dress up like pirates and have mom make a treasure map.  I fill their treasure boxes with some sort of "treasure" and they go hunting.  Yesterday, they turned the entire living room into Pirate World!  They had each made flags they colored and taped to a variety of places to make their ships.  My 6 year old said it was "pirate VBS."  He had me go around from station to station, talk about God and Jesus, and sing songs.  So creative!  We even got to pick out treasures at the end.

Two of our favorite stories to read about treasure are:

The Treasure Tree by John and Cindy Trent and Gary and Norma Smalley
Will, God's Mighty Warrior #2: The Mystery of Magillicuddy's Gold by Sheila Walsh

No comments:

Post a Comment