Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Question of the Week

Here is a an idea I came up with not too long ago.  Each school year, I weekly attend a Bible study of some sort.  Over the years, I have done Beth Moore, Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) and most recently one by Priscilla Shirer.  Every time I leave from Bible Study, I am full of excitement over what God is teaching me and my brain is full of things I want to teach my children.  But, I rarely ever get it out!  I have a hard time applying what I learn.  I feel as though I have so much to share with my family about what I am learning, but have a very difficult time finding time to share with them.

So, a while ago, I got an idea!  I decided to come up with one question from my study that I can ask myself and my family.  Then, I wrote the question on our dry erase board.  This dry erase board is located right by the door where we enter and exit our home.  It is where we keep the family calendars, school reminders, etc.  So, we see this board often; it is hard to miss.

The first question I asked was, "Are you bringing honor to God in all that you do?"  I can honestly tell you that I have seen this question and read it multiple times a day every day.  Therefore, it has constantly been on my mind.  I have been reminded to make sure that whatever I am doing is honoring to God AND I've at times remembered to ask my children, "are you bringing honor to God right now...are you making God happy with how you are acting" or "...in what you are doing?"  Wow!

This has definitely impacted my own life.  This first question changed my thinking at times and assisted me in discipling my children in a way that honors God, just by merely asking them the question and getting them to start thinking about it.  It is amazing how one question can be made so simple for children and still be so deep for myself and my husband.

My second question was, "Are you walking with God?"  Again this can be so simple for my kids and a good reminder for all of us.  Yet, it can also be a deeper question that my husband and I can ponder over for the next week.  For my children, "have you talked with God today?"  "Have you listened to God today?"  For myself, "have I spent time alone with the Lord--studying His word, praying and listening?"

At times, I have forgotten to write a new question and my kids will ask me, "Mom, where's our question this week?"  I love that they love the idea and I love that they are helping keep me accountable!

Last week's question from my recent study about Gideon: "Who does God say you are?"




No comments:

Post a Comment